A lawyer provides legal advice to clients on a variety of matters depending on the role.
A lawyer employed in the minerals and energy industry may:
- Prepare contracts for joint venture partners, customers and suppliers;
- Oversee legal compliance requirements of a company;
- Advise in areas of resources law, workers compensation, native title and environmental responsibility;
- Ensure the legal requirements of tenement and lease management are adhered to;
- Ensure appropriate risk management strategies are in place, and
- Consult with management, commercial advisers, tax experts, accountants and marketing staff.
Legal Counsel (1-3 years exp): $55,000 - $100,000
Legal Counsel (4-6 years exp): $80,000 - $170,000
Legal Counsel (over 6 years exp): $120,000 - $220,000
General Counsel: $120,000 - $200,000+
Entry to this occupation is generally through a bachelor degree or higher qualification.
Visit the Education & Training tab above for a list of Australian universities.