Jumbo Operators are responsible for the operation of a single and /or double boom jumbo drilling rig for underground development mining with the installation of ground support.
Bogger Operators are responsible for transporting or bogging, waste rock and soil or ore onto trucks or to different parts of a mining operation.
Excavator operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of excavators to dig, move and load earth, rock or other materials. Excavator drivers in the minerals industry may perform the following tasks:
- Load and unload plant from low loaders and manoeuvre it around site operations;
- Communicate with truck drivers and other personnel to coordinate operations;
- Operate equipment to excavate to correct levels and alignment, working from drawings and markers;
- Back-fill trenches;
- Select and change excavator attachments, and
- Service equipment.
Bulldozer operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of bulldozers, using the blade and other attachments to gouge out and move rock, earth and other materials. Bulldozer drivers in the minerals industry may perform the following tasks:
- Operate the plant to move overburden;
- Carry out basic maintenance, adjustments and repairs to plant - only if qualified;
- Carry out pre start checks;
- Set levels;
- Use machines to anchor form, and
- Remove obstruction on roads.
Grader operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of graders to spread and level materials on site. Grader operators in the minerals and energy industry may perform the following tasks:
- Level surfaces by making repeated passes over working areas and observing survey pegs or signals from co-workers;
- Dig out ditches by tilting grader blade;
- Break up surface with scarifying attachments, and
- Service equipment regularly.
Scraper operators are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of scrapers which pick up, haul, deposit and level earth on mining sites. Scraper operators in the minerals industry may perform the following tasks:
- Drive machines to scrape surfaces to a given depth and collect material in their bowls to be deposited elsewhere on site;
- Dump and spread material following the guidance of survey pegs, and
- Service and make minor repairs to the equipment.
Mill Operator: $70,000 - $100,000
Jumbo Operator: $85,000 - $180,000
Bogger Operator: $80,000 - $130,000
Longwall Coordinator: $120,000 - $150,000
Entry is generally through an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificate II or higher qualification, a traineeship and/or at least 1 year’s relevant experience.
Mining companies and contractors are the main employers of operators in the mining industry. Visit Current Vacancies for links to relevant employment websites.
For more information on training, visit the VET Courses section of the Education & Training tab above.