Across the minerals industry the tasks catering trades may be responsible for include:
- Monitoring compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation and serving and building maintenance in lodging and dining facility;
- Estimating food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption to anticipate amount to be purchased or requisitioned;
- Organising and directs worker training programs, resolves personnel problems, hires new staff, and evaluates employee performance in dining and lodging facilities;
- Planning menus and food utilization based on anticipated number of guests, nutritional value, palatability, popularity, and costs;
- Monitoring food preparation and methods, size of portions, and garnishing and presentation of food to ensure food is prepared and presented in accepted manner;
- Investigating and resolves complaints regarding food quality, service, or accommodations;
- Creating specialty dishes and develops recipes to be used in dining facility;
- Testing cooked food by tasting and smelling to ensure palatability and flavour conformity;
- Keeping records required by government agencies regarding sanitation and regarding food subsidies where indicated;
- Establishing and enforces nutrition standards for dining establishment based on accepted industry standards;
- Reviewing menus and analyses recipes to determine labour and overhead costs, and assigns prices to menu items, and
- Monitoring budget, payroll records, and reviews financial transactions to ensure expenditures are authorized and budgeted.
Food/Beverage - Supervisor/Manager: $35,000 — $120,000
Chef: $35,000 — $80,000
Cooks: $32,000 — $75,000
Source: www.mycareer.com.au (July 2008)
Entry to these occupations is generally through an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. For more information on training, visit the VET Courses section of the Education & Training tab above.
Mining contractors and facilities management companies are the main employers of catering related roles in the mining industry. Visit Current Vacancies for links to relevant employment websites.